Senin, 05 Desember 2011

Interview-Christian Rigal

http://unitedbikeco.com/team/christian-rigal/#

 Interview

What first got you into riding?
I always enjoyed riding bikes but I’m pretty sure I just saw the X games on TV and instantly got hooked.
Out of all your video parts, web edits etc, do you have a favourite clip ever?
Shoot that’s a hard one. It would have to be a clip I just got for the United Downtime DVD. I had to do a night mission at 1.00am to bondo a couple cracks and dig out a planter box to move it. I think it’s gonna end up being my banger too so I’m hyped!
What’s an average day in the life of Christian Rigal like?
I’ll usually wake up around 10.00am, shower, have a smoke, eat and catch up on some web videos and emails. After that I’ll usually try and call up some friends and see who’s around and who wants to ride. I prefer to go out an ride street all day but on a lazy day I’m always down for a park sesh. After a long day of riding/filming (everyday is usually split doing both) I’ll head back home, eat, hang out with some friends and play ping pong or skate the mini ramp. If there’s a party nearby we’ll go to that. If not, there’s a rad bar down the road that we can ride to.
If you had to choose one spot to ride for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Dang I hope that never happens. I’d have to said UCSD. That campus is massive and literally has every kind of obstacle you could want to ride.
What’s the best thing about where you currently live?
Everything! The weather, spots, people, girls, Mexican food, San Diego has everything I need!
What’s the worst thing about where you currently live?
The spots are so good that they’re starting to disappear little by little.
What was the first contest you rode in, and where did you place?
It was a Biketoberfest contest in San Diego. I was probably about 17 and I have no idea what I placed, it was fun though! I’d have to say I definitely prefer a film-based contest or a true jam format.
What was your bike set up and clothing of choice at the time?
Haha! A Fit S3 Aitken with brakes and no pegs. I probably had on and old ass t-shirt that was too small for me and some baggy jeans. Oh how the times have changed!
What is your favourite and least favourite BMX related fad?
Hmm, it’s rad that eveyone is getting into 4 pegs, that’s something I never thought would happen. Something we can do without would probably have to be the scooter frames/squeaky brake robots.
If you could be ‘pro’ in any other sport what would it be and why?
Haha, I’d have to say skateboarding for the spots. They can session flat ground, a curb, or a basic rail for hours. That just seems like so much fun. Plus I’ve always loved skating and I’ve never been good. That would be awesome!
Do you have any specific rituals or things you do before doing tricks / things you are scared of?
Haha yeahh kinda. If it’s something scary, I have to listen to my iPod while I’m filming, just one song though. Before I go, I’ll just roll around (pretty much in a circle) until it kicks in and then I’m doing it. If I don’t have a good song I just think too much and I can’t get myself to try something. Weird, but it’s been working for me!
What was the scariest thing you ever done on your bike?
Looking back I honestly felt like the one thing I filmed that I really thought I could get messed up on was backflipping into a ditch in Treasure Island. I learned how to flip a box a couple years ago but rarely ever do them. We rolled up on this spot that had a dirt jump lip into a ditch with a banked landing. It jumped pretty well but the lip was really shady. I always tell myself with flips that if I just do the same thing I always do it’ll work. The whole no warm-up thing makes flips really scary for me but somehow it worked out first go. The whole time I couldn’t help but picture myself ejecting in the middle of a flip and getting murked. Luckily I didn’t!
Outside of BMX, what is your favourite way to waste time?
It all depends on where I am. In SD I don’t do much except ride and film. I probably skate more then anything else. When I go back to Nor Cal I love going on hikes in the forest, nothing beats that on a lazy day!
Favorite Vehicle?
I truly miss my 04 BMW 530i.
Top 5 Riders?
Chad Kerley, Dennis Enarson, Rob Wise, Nathan Williams, Corey Martinez.
Top 5 People To Follow On Twitter
Tony Hamlin, Corey Martinez, Chad Kerley, Thecomeup, Nathan Williams.
Top 3 Spots?
UCSD, Garfield, My secret school.
Top 3 Movies?
Friday, Next Friday ,Happy Gilmore.
Top 5 Websites?
Thecomeup, Bmxfeed, Facebook, Twitter, Transworld skateboarding.
http://unitedbikeco.com/team/christian-rigal/